Saturday, November 17, 2018

inyterview with Erik Jovet - I Eternal

Who are you ?
From a point of view, i’m a married man of 52, proud father of my daughter. From another point, I’m what can be considered as an artist. But! My aim is to share my art with other, I do not live in an ivory tower far from reality, even reality was normal to some, but not for I,Eternal. My love of discovering artists, as musicians, poets, plasticians is my driving force. If I can find something I haven’t found yet each day is self accomplishment. Plus as some qualified me as ever enthousiast, I need to share my finds. The share of cultures ( films I saw, tapes records I got, places I went, museums I visited, and so on) are important to me. If it can interest one person, I won the game. I don’t play games, it’s a waste of time to me. I don’t do sports, I don’t want to die earlier than the Moirai decide to cut my string of life. And it’s waste of my energy and time for creation. My endorphin addiction don’t need this. I find pleasure in contemplation. Meditation fulfill the holes in my life.
How did you got there?
As many I sung the lyrics on the covers of records, looked like an idiot doing air guitar in front of mirrors. I tried to be a drummer, but I was lazy and a good drum kit costs a fortune I couldn’t afford. My money was spent in magazines, books, comics, records, tapes and videos…So now I gor a small collection of vinyls nearly 2000, tapes about 100, some died long ago…, books I can’t tell there are in each room of my house….the DVDs are nearly 1000…A reason my wife hates me, you can laugh. I joined bands as a singer by accident, I quit the drumkit of a punk band to face the mic for the firs time in 1985, we made a grind core band “Lily Of The Valley” . I joined The Clever Boys, until 1986 Raw’K’Roll with Hard Core influences, I also were into a fun punk core band “Les Shark’s” local fame. After my military period ruining my health and time I made another band Space Jerks until ’89. After this band, I made CIANID a demo still exists thanks to my cousin in the band! I joined a band called Punishment Park heavily in dark industrial psychedelic sounds. An album got out 20 years after it’s recording due to the band’s explosion due to some asshole leaving the band for soup and fame. I stayed I the dark and created I,Eternal. In 96. I joined other bands after that. And decided to end live action in 2011 after Re_Org ( Industrial Goth Metal). I never had stagefright , I don’t care if there’s 1 or 2500 people in front of me, if I had to play, I did the part of the contract : giving all possible for a great show. I got there but my past has little or no interest for me. What is important is to come and discover.
Expression or Impression??!!
As words are limited I express myself with sounds. The sonic prism has less limits of good , evil, all those anthropocentrism concepts given to music. Some likes good music, I feel it’s strange. Some never liked what I heard saying it’s noise 10% of the time, shit the rest%...Lack of understanding, knowledge, fuck them you make your choice. Explaining 2000 years of music history to untolerant people is a waste of my time. I don’t do it anymore. I prefer to be perceived as an asshole by many. I never understood people listening constantly to the same bands year after without discovering some in the same veins. I lost fortunes covering full ranges of styles and time of course. This driving me away from unknown formations. I remember at a Soundcheck for a I,Eternal show in 2012 a Contemporary Art , someone from the Tri Athlete Federation told me my music was giving her vomiting envy. A compliment of worthy value. I told her she can go and do it and die far from me. I know how endorphin junkies are desperate without their daily dose… I let them alone.
Sport is really a problem in my life, there you can laugh a little more than before... While I create my stuff for me or especially for someone else is peace on Earth made possible. Sharing our cultures is the only way to make peace not a hippy dream. Some sounds arrive home with their no words to say but try me… I do things with passion. It is very important to me. That’s why I understand people with other passions than mine, I respect theirs. Enough said for others, let them make their way. I have no ambition but Peace on Earth. At a cosmic scale it’s less than shit. When making collaborations songs, I do songs, I’m a singer, I use my voice as first sound to filter, transform , into something else ( Rules of Musique Concrète Read Schaeffer !), I try to make the piece sounding like a classic pop tune. Not that easy, micro details are important, transitions have a power of story telling driving force. It can also be made with a punk fuck it attitude sometimes, when all is possible so why staying in musical jail form? I know how to sing in many styles ( a good breath exercise and from grind to falsetto) , I can place melodies easily. But it has no more surprising me aspects. Noise is really more infinite. Even I prefer the term sound. Too bad we can’t explore the ultrasonic universe.
My play ground is this planet, my time in this dimension is short so I don’t waste it. I nearly died many times due to health problems, lifestyle and allergies, don’t feel sorry for me, feel sorry for the poor who can’t eat or go to school, for the women still enduring violences , for the LGBT people facing aggressions. I’d love to have the impression that racism ended centuries ago, that women got the respect they deserve. Sure I’ll experience this in another kharma. I’m no mystical person nor religious, it’s too much separating people from each other and war generator. Check history…But enough talking about me. Let the wheel turn. IMPRESS ME WITH YOUR EXPRESSION.

No comments:

Post a Comment