Saturday, November 17, 2018

interview with Julio Kaegi

How did the trumpet entered in your life?

When I was ten or eleven years old, I watched a jazz concert on television, the trumpet player blew my mind, it was Freddie Hubbard playing Cantalupe Island with Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams, that was a Blue Note Concert 1985 at The Town Hall New York City. After that, my approach with a trumpet was always very asymptotic. Every so often I discovered a new trumpeter who blew my mind like Chet Baker, Winton Marsalis, Michele Lacerenza. But the instrument that I had chosen to play and study was the guitar because the music that I liked was music where the guitar had a preponderant place.
Much later and in the middle of a changes in my life, because I had stopped making music for about seven years, I decided to make music again because my companion Alejandra supported me to retake that aspect of my life. And I decided to start again but this time playing the trumpet. I did not have money, so I could not buy a trumpet, but I could pay for classes and I started taking classes just a mouthpiece that my teacher gave me. I became obsessed with the study of buzzing and many others thinks like that at the same time I started to open my head to a lot of music. Salsa, Ska, Free jazz, Free improvisation.

Favorite artist when u were teenager?
I lived my adolescence between the beginning of 90's in Formosa, Argentina. And even though I lived in a small city, we managed to get some CD´s and watch many videos on rare TV shows we catch in CATV. The bands that most influenced me in that time were Slayer, Suicidal Tendencies, Cannibal Corpse, Ratos de Porão and Sepultura. And participate in bands whose sound make noise like that´s bands.
Outside the music, the cinema was what interested me most and my favorite was the B-cinema of science fiction. I loved watching those movies where you felt you could have made them with boxes, and some old computer Commodore 64 made in Argentine.

Plans for next year?
My activity as a musician is mainly linked to free improvisation within two projects. A trio with Franco Pellini on drums and Andres Asia on guitar. And another in a duo with the pianist Silvia Angles. All these projects are based in the city of Córdoba, Argentina. For next year one of the plans is to be able to travel with these projects to other places and play with other friends improvisers.
At the same time I also participate in a free jazz radio program from where we plan to publish albums and some book dedicated to give some account of the scene of our city.
And some other things that involve a lot of people and we hope that they can also be realized.

Volumen 3 from TOTOKA FILMS on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment