Thursday, November 15, 2018

interview with Marc Bascougnano / Running Time


1_ Tell me something about your grandmother or grandfather!!
My grandfather was a pilot during the spanish civil war on the republican side.One day his gunner and close friend was shot dead.He kept one belonging of his in souvenir.Some ruler-type intsrument made to calculate speed.The item had blood stains on it that are still visible now like it happend last year.

2_ Tell me about how noise music came into your life!!
The noise music came in my life when I discovered circuit bending.As I was more into realtime visuals at the time(Vjing) I first started modifying video stuff.Then naturally I started bending audio devices to make my own sound along with my clips.
I got myself a bunch of casios and other instrument-toys to experiment deeper.As I am not a real musician and know pretty much nothing about music theory, I was seduced by the possibility to sort crazy random tunes out of those.Like I often say, I quite never come out with some precise ideas of sounds, I operate and provoque things and the machines do the rest.

3_ What kind of feedback do you get from this animated criatures you creat?
My realtime illustrations I do are produced with dated video telestrators.Some sketchpads you used in the 90's to draw and create tittles for video editing.It's analog vid, so all you need is a tv and a VCR .I always found great to be able to do pixel art on a tv without cpu help even if there's still a small processor in it.I also modified those to glitch out the drawing once they're complete.
So I end up with a regular version of the drawing and a multitude of glitchy versions of it.
I spend hours to do and select the video grabs that I'll keep.
The challenging thing here is to hack and use the drawing features of the devices.Mostly they're hard to use and really poor sketchy ink and paint tools.When it comes to work some real constructed and detailed art, you need to hack the thing in order to get close from what you have in mind.I like that aspect pretty much and find that step really constructive for a cartoonist.It opens doors you weren't expecting.
I usually got good feedback from the audience concerning this type of work.However most of the people don't really get it and may consider that I fucked it up.It's important to mention that almost all I produce is improvised and freestyle drawing sessions and the spontaneous aspect might speak to certain persons more than others.
I know that I have to explain clearly my concept and technique first before showing my work to get proper understanding.The tools are important here cause they shape your art diferently that a traditionnal pen and ink.Only a few people appreciate the bizarre subjects of my drawings at the first sight without wondering how it's done  .Process is important in art but never should overcome the final piece.
http://runningtimelab.fr/

close combat from Running Time on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment